Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Testing Descriptions



While participating in a writers conference a couple of weeks ago, it became obvious to me that I’m going to need to develop various descriptors for Blood of Anjels. First, I need a consist way of telling people what the book is about. It is a polite and obvious question. A part of me still wants to say, “70,000 words, give or take.” Snarkiness aside, no one is going to read it just on my say so. They do need a few words from me to pique their interest. No one is going to read a book they know nothing about (my editor--poor baby--excepted).


The trick is to find the right few words for a conversation, an elevator pitch or book jacket.


At the conference I heard another writer answer the question, “what’s it about?” He gave a very detailed plot outline. It was a pretty good elevator pitch; something he’d been practicing. It was too long, though for conversation, and not pithy enough for a book jacket.


This is hard. Harder, in many ways, than writing the book. So, I’m going to enlist your help. Please follow the link below to a very short survey. Thanks.http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LNV9ZNZ

No comments:

Post a Comment